Monday, July 16, 2007

Balcony Reclamation 4 Weeks Later

So, I continue to still be awake (glad I didn't nap or I'd be ruined for bedtime on a schoolnight), and for whatever reason I went through the day not even noticing that I never made it to bed last night. And. I've only had a handful of relatively minor urges to smoke. Very nice. I'm back to my new version of normal where I still notice that I'm not smoking, but where it's not all that bad and more just kind of annoying for the most part. Amazing how I just keep not smoking it gets a little easier, then a little rugged, then a little easier again, then a rough patch, then OK again. It's definitely a process, and the Chantix is still definitely helping.

After I posted the other day about the balcony now being butt free thanks to Tom, I saw Tobin's comment about taking Tom out there with me. I wonder why I hadn't thought of that. So today, for the first time in 4 weeks, to the day as a matter of fact, I opened that door to the balcony and walked out there, and guess what? No scary monster crawled up making me smoke after all. Instead I gave Tom a kiss. I liked it enough that I might drag him out there and do it again just because. My balcony has now been reclaimed. One more little victory!


  1. Hey, Maggie. I've been reading your blog (lurkie, lurkie) for a couple of weeks. I'm going the Chantix route, too, only I have this way in life, of doing things differently. I quit smoking on Saturday, July 7th and on Monday, I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. I thought it was some powerful nicotine withdrawal going on, but then the fever hit.
    So I figured it must be a virus, as I shivered and sweated through a 103 fever for three days. There was no taking my Chantix because I was basically feeling like I was trapped on the teacup ride at Disney at this point and nothing was staying down. After three days of this, my husband took me to the doctor and it was some intestinal thingy called diverticulitis that I've never had before, but my body thought would be fun to add to the withdrawal symptoms.

    After six days, the fever finally broke, the nausea subsided, I could eat a cracker or two, and I took my Chantix. But I didn't cheat while I was off of it, even though I'm one of those smokers who would be smoking in the ambulance on the way to the hospital if I could. I always smoked more when I was feeling unwell.

    So I'm ending nine days smokefree and I just wanted you to know how much I've enjoyed reading about your experiences.

    Now we both should get some sleep!

  2. Wow, Judy, so glad you commented! First, my mom's name was Judy, and every Judy I've ever met has been good people, so it's good to "meet" you! That's amazing the timing and hell you went through at the start of your quitting smoking journey. Wow. I'm like you, I smoked whether sick, dying or dead, so not cheating while not on the Chantix and being so sick - that's cool. Keep going! I'd love to hear more from you.


Talk to me.