It's also the time of the week for Heads or Tails, and today is all about Love.
- I'm headed home to Chicago tomorrow in advance of my dad's (third) open heart surgery scheduled for next week, possibly sooner. Sometimes he's funny about saying it, but I know that my dad loves me, always has. I hope he knows I love him, too. I make a point of telling him I love him, just in case.
- My mom had no trouble singing songs about loving you a bushel and a peck, and her love was the kind that shouted from rooftops and lived in proud pictures in her wallet. Now 13 years since losing her, I know that some love transcends death and that even while I think of her *every* *single* *day* and miss her tremendously, I know she lives on through me because her love impacted my life and is a part of who I am today.
- I've had bigger loves and smaller loves in my life, and each one has taught me something. Typically, the more painful, the more I've learned, but I'm hoping the all the really hard stuff is behind me.
- I've learned it's possible to love a child I never got to meet while hoping for another chance, somehow, someday to love a child that lives long enough to love me back.
- Finding someone you love enough to just want to see the person smile is an experience not to be missed. Knowing that it's reciprocal is pretty damn awesome, too. I cook for my sweet Tom, and he makes me lattes, and we smile at each other a lot. Those are wonderful symptoms of our brand of love, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on here endlessly, but I'll spare you all the mooshy gooshy details.
- Oh, and Love? Is an action word.