Thirteen Things I'm Re-Remembering on Trip Home to Chicago
- Sleeping on planes is usually difficult.
- The earlier the the flight, the more annoying I find fellow passengers.
- Chicago is cold in winter.
- Every member of my family cranks the heat up to 8 million degrees because Chicago is cold in winter - in this sense, I've been too warm, mostly. (This one is actually new because I'm *always* too cold, until now.)
- White Castle really is wonderful. 3 cheeseburgers with rings is perfect. Otherwise 4 cheeseburgers and no rings since you can get rings anywhere. In a pinch and in case of accident due to prolonged absence, 4 cheeseburgers and rings is OK, too. Apparently.
- Pizza from where I call home will always be cut in squares, and I can still eat half a medium even while still too full from a miscalculation at the White Castle.
- Chicago gets ass loads of snow.
- Snow looks awesome while it is still pure and white.
- Snow loses any appeal if you have to shovel it (I haven't this trip) or when it gets dirty and/or slushy.
- Cars look like ass in Chicago's winters with that nasty grayish salty film. Still better than the concept of gravel in Portland where it kicks up and continues to chip or crack windshields months after that one little flurry hit.
- Being smart enough to wear the gym shoes and pack the slip ons pays off because otherwise snow really would have gotten in around the sides. Good think I'm a smartie pants/shoes person.
- Trees on the street where I grew up continue to grow from tiny when I was younger to huger each visit, no matter how many years you are gone, and it's always an amazing measuring stick of some sort I can't articulate.
- There's no place like home. It's Valentine's Day, and I've already done the love thing earlier this week, but it's still good to be home.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants